It never ceases to amaze me how much people hate looking at themselves in photos. How can you enjoy your image when everything you see in magazines or tv is PERFECT? Even the ugly look great. However, if you're as photogenic as a bowl of goulash I have some tips that might not make you America's Next Top Model, but will make you appreciate you looking back at yourself in photos. And guess what? Some of these tips are even good for the impromptu photo moment.
2. Use A Make Up Artist - Television personalities, movie stars, thespians, models, newscasters, and even the President of the United States uses a make up artist. It's what a lot of people do to even out skin tones, cover up blemishes and accentuate beauty. If the leader of the free nation is getting make up done you should too.
3 - Avoid The Evil Double Chin - A photographer must position the camera properly or else you are photographically screwed. The lens must be at your eye level or higher because even Kate Moss would have had a double chin if shot from below. Bend your knees slightly if you are taller than the photographer, suggest sitting in a chair or lift your turkey neck to stretch out the evil double chin.
4. Tilt Your Head - Turning your head slightly away from the camera will be much more appealing to your eye when you look at your photographs. It creates more depth and is more interesting than looking at a football sized head with a mug shot of you from lobe to lobe. Plus if you have big ears (I have tiny ones) you will undoubtedly want to avoid the Will Smith look.
5. Don’t Smile – Whatever you do... DO NOT SMILE. The word smile is a bad 5 letter word that brings out the constipated fake tooth showing look that will make you run for the hills to burn each photo individually. Let the photographer bring out the special moments by his or her direction. If you hired a bad photographer (or didn't hire me) then just think something funny like if a cow laughed would milk come out of its nose or how cruel it was to put an "S" in the word lisp.
6. Strike A Pose - Madonna does it why can't you. Put your hand on your hip and sit into it lowering one shoulder. Try turning around then face the camera. Squat down jail style and put a little attitude in your photo. Let your personality shine through your actions and you’ll be surprised at how much more photogenic you really can be. Also keep in mind that if you twist your body slightly you will appear thinner and ultimately happier with your photographic results.
7. There Is Always Photoshop - When all else fails there is always photoshop. The before and after photoshop look is no longer a big surprise because we all know it exists. Every client I have ever had has asked me to photoshop something out of it. I do it all the time to my own photos because I want to look like Johnny Depp. Also, it usually comes with the photographer's package deal. If it's a random photo that someone took and you know it doesn't look good then take the camera and throw it out the window. :)
Well there you have it. 7 tips to looking better in photos, even if the mirror says you are the ugliest one of them all. Without sounding too cheesy appreciate these photographic moments. Even the ugly ones. Who knows... if you are smart it can be the conversation piece to your future loved one the next time you show your driver's license. :)